The Hanging Gate Inn
||recorded without number
The image of this silk was very kindly donated by Mary Brittan, UK.
|Woven at bottom of silk:-
| || || |
Woven in silk 1966
Printed at bottom of card mount:-
The Hanging Gate
"This Gate hangs here and troubles none,
Refresh and pay and travel on."
| || |
Legend printed on inside cover of card mount:-
Old Cheshire Inns No 1. The Inn is situated four miles from Macclesfield on the western edge of the Pennines overlooking the Cheshire Plain and has been a fully licenced house since the early part of the seventeenth century. For many years the Inn was affectionately known, by both locals and visitors alike, as 'Tom Steeles'. Tom being the renowned one-armed character who was licensee for over fifty two years.
cm deep by cm wide
11.4cm high by 17.9cm wide
Technical Details supplied by Lewis Cowen:
|First Sketch: ||Mr Cyril Holland|
|Design Draft:||Mr Cyril Holland|
|Card Cutter:||Mr William Stubbs|
|Weavers:||Mrs Hilda Mathers|
Mr Charles Broadhead
by Lewis Cowen:
In 1964 and 1965 no pictures were available but 1966 saw the production of the first of three woven pictures depicting Cheshire Inns.
THE HANGING GATE is situated at the old entrance to the Greenway Stone - the hanging place many years ago for poachers and other miscreants. Its name is derived from the Scandinavian word 'GATA', meaning entrance. In 1902 Tommy Steele bought the Inn and two fields from Charles Hadfield, a Macclesfield chemist, for £1,850. He was the landlord until he died in 1952 aged 77. He was a man who lived a somewhat solitary life, but despite having lost an arm in an accident with his gun some years previously, was quite capable of running this lonely Inn.