The Old King's Head,
and Sutton Aqueduct
The image of this silk was very kindly donated by Mary Dodd
|Woven on silk:-
| || |
woven in silk 1989
|| || |
|Printed at bottom of card mount:-
The 'Old King's Head' and Sutton Aqueduct
| || ||
Legend printed on inside cover of card mount:-
The Old King's Head, Sutton, near Macclesfield, is on the main route to the old Brocklehurst-Whiston Print Works at Langley. The adjoining Smithy was actively used by local farmers and in former days by coaches and horse transport passing through to Buxton. The Sutton Aquaduct was constructed in 1831 from plans left by the famous James Brindley and the canal opening was a great step forward in the history of Macclesfield.
cm deep by cm wide
11.4 cm high by 18.2 cm wide
Technical Details supplied by Lewis Cowen:
|First Sketch: ||Mr William Hine|
|Design Draft:||Mr David Proud (Wm. Rigg & Co. Ltd)|
|Card Cutter:||Mr George Dodsworth (Wm. Rigg & Co. Ltd)|
|Weaving:||Mrs Marlene Lawson|
by Lewis Cowen:
In 1989 another woven picture was produced. The first sketch for The Old Kings Head had beed done by William Hine some years previously, but had not been chosen as there had been some support for one depicting The Armoury at that time. Nothing came of this, and some years after Mr Hine's retirement his sketch was resurrected and used to produce the 1989 picture.
The design draft was done externally, but during initial trials Bill Hines was asked to help in resolving a problem caused by 'mirror images'.
This was the last picture to have the legend printed inside the cover. Those for St. Paul's and The Kings School were done on a separate piece of paper included with the picture.
The picture for 1989 was THE OLD KING'S HEAD, SUTTON, the third in the Cheshire Inns series. The Old King's Head is on the main route to the old Brocklehurst-Whiston Print Works at Langley. The adjoining Smithy was used by local farmers and in earlier times by horse drawn coaches en route to Buxton. The Sutton Aqueduct was constructed in 1831 from plans left by the famous James Brindley, although his actual involvement is doubtful. The opening of the canal was a great step forward in the history of Macclesfield.