Capesthorne Hall

Reference Number:- Sprake Number:- Godden Number:-
obk 100   not listed not listed
 

Image of splended red brick manor house with park land and lake
The image of this silk was very kindly donated by Mary Dodd

Words:
Woven on silk:-
Brocklehurst
  
woven in silk 1983
     
Printed at bottom of card mount:-

Capesthorne
     

Legend printed on inside cover of card mount:-
Capesthorne near Macclesfield is the home where the Bromley-Davenports and their ancestors, the Capesthornes and the Wards, have lived since Domesday times. The present house, which was built to replace an earlier one, was built in 1722, and altered by Blore in 1837, and Salvin in 1867. Capesthorne contains a great variety of treasures: fine paintings, furniture, marbles, Greek vases, silver and family muniments dating from 1153.

Size:
Card mount:
cm deep by cm wide

silk:
11.2cm high by 19.7cm wide

 
Technical Details supplied by Lewis Cowen:
First Sketch:    Old engraving
swans etc: Mrs M Fish
Design Draft:Mr William Hine
Card Cutter:Mr William Stubbs
Weaving:Mrs Phyllis Graves
Mrs Rose Kelsall
Design No:Z27223
Comments:

by Lewis Cowen:
Between 1979 and 1988 only two (silks) were produced - in 1981 GAWSWORTH HALL and in 1983 CAPESTHORNE HALL. No woven pictures were produced from 1984 to 1988, but five more printed silk pictures were made available for collectors.

Other comments: 

 


Back to List of Brocklehurst silks
Back to List of Other Weavers

This page was created on 19 March 2003 © Peter Daws
Web site address: www.stevengraph-silks.com